Karen Casey, a writer, international workshop presenter, and lecturer on recovery and spiritual growth issues, has written 23 books including Codependence and the Power of Detachment. To find out more about her, visit her website, www.womens-spirituality.com. This edifying paperback contains 200 meditations on setting your own boundaries and making your own life through detachment. As 12-Step programs and many religions have shown us, it is very difficult in this culture of comparisons and constant urban interaction to develop the art of detachment. Casey provides a great service by approaching this complicated subject from so many different angles. Here is a sampler:
• "Detachment is simply watching the events that are unfolding around you, getting involved only when your journey is part of the experience."
• "Detachment is stepping back from an experience in order to allow room for God to do His or Her part."
• "Detachment is understanding that we are never the cause of someone else's actions."
• "Detachment is knowing that what others do is not a reflection on you."
• "Detachment means not being a victim anymore."
• "Detachment is keeping your feelings separate from what others are saying and doing."
• "Detachment is the way to cultivate peace, one moment at a time."
• "Being willing to practice the art of detachment is what promises us the freedom to grow."