|Sign In | Shopping Cart | Subscribe to RSS Feed|
Current and Upcoming E-Courses and Online Retreats:
Be the first to learn about new e-courses amd other special content at Spirituality & Practice through our free E-Newsletter.
Sign up here.
Practicing Spirituality at Home
Led by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat
This version of "Practicing Spirituality at Home" run as a current e-course in June-July 2013, To take this course on-demand, subscribe to this e-course.
"I want to remind myself and others that our homes can become sacred spaces, filled with life and meaning," Gunilla Norris writes in Sharing Silence. "We do not need cathedrals to remind ourselves to experience the sacred."
She is right. Think of all the time we spend in the different areas of our homes or apartments: the kitchen, dining room, living room, bathrooms, bedrooms, basement, closets, and elsewhere. Now consider our everyday activities there: eating, dressing, bathing, sleeping, crafts, games, hobbies. These all have spiritual meaning, and they can become a workshop for the spirit if approached with respect, creativity, and imagination. We may think of chores as a bore but we can reframe such things as cleaning and taking out the trash as opportunities to do our share in mending the world.
This popular e-course in our "Practicing Spirituality" series consists of 40 daily emails. It offers practices, rituals, reminders, and prayers to help you bring more focus and intentionality to the ordinary things you do at home. We will share some of the attitudes and actions recommended by our favorite writers on this subject, including Sue Bender, Brenda Peterson, Donna Schaper, Deng Ming-Dao, Brian Doyle, Drew Leder, Henri Nouwen, and many others.
You'll receive a daily with a brief quotation and a related practice suggestion. Then you will be invited to come to the Practice Circle (an online forum open 24/7 for your posts) to share your responses to the readings and your experiences with the practices. Consider the Practice Circle as a laboratory where you and others will discuss what works to bring more spirituality into your home and even what doesn't work for you.
Summertime seems to us to be an especially good time to practice spirituality at home. Although this e-course has been in Spirituality & Practice's on-demand system for several years, we have never run it with a Practice Circle for community sharing. Join us and discover how what you are already doing at home can be opportunities for deeper experiences of the sacred.
6 CEHs for chaplains available
Help Spread the Word about The E-Courses
• Download a brochure (pdf file) about our E-Courses and Online Retreats.
• Download a flyer (pdf file) about how you can set up a custom e-course for your group you choose the course, the frequency, and get your own private Practice Circle.
• Watch these Video Tutorials on "Site Navigation and Profile Set Up" and "The Practice Circle" for our E-Courses.
• What are people saying about the Practicing Spirituality E-Courses?
• Who are the e-course teachers?
• What do you mean by a practice suggestion?
• Can I get Continuing Education Hours for an E-Course or Online Retreat?>
• What happens if I sign up after the e-course has started?
• How do I post to the Sharing Forums and Practice Circles?
• How much does an e-course cost? Can I pay by credit card or check?
• What are your cancellation, refund, and scholarship policies?
• How do I set up my account?
• How do I get a password reminder?
• What are the discussion guides mentioned in my account?