- "Taoist sages say that when you smile, your organs release a honey-like secretion which nourishes the whole body."
— Mantak Chia in The Butterfly Healing by Julia Ching
- "One thousand miles from home, I open the same prayer book.
Some nights it was only obligation; tonight, it is comfort."
— Deng Ming-Dao in 365 Tao
- "If only human beings
did not need to always be right
Think of how seldom
people would fight.
We'd get along better
with a lot less defenses
And feel quite secure
without high walls and fences.
We'd accept each other more
and respect each other's needs
We'd feel our inner oneness
Beyond gender, race, age, or creed."
— C. Alexander and Annellen M. Simpkins in Tao in Ten
- "Nothing in the world
is as soft and yielding as water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible,
nothing can surpass it."
— Lao-Tzu in Tao Te Ching by Stephen Mitchell
- "Parenting need not be a burden,
one more thing you have to do
and don't do well enough.
Instead consider your failures,
and your difficulties
as your primary teaching opportunities."
— William Martin in The Parent's Tao Te Ching
- "Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness is thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love."
— Lao-Tzu in Kindness and Joy by Harold G. Koenig
- "Watching the blossoming flowers. In spring, summer, autumn, and even winter, flowers are blooming. They take their support from the weather, continuing to bloom despite inclement weather. No human individual need be withered by the negative circumstances in life. Let your life blossom like those flowers, in the sense of the fullness of your spirit and fullness of your life strength."
— Hua-Ching Ni in Entering the Tao