See a gallery of 12 quotes on imagination.
- Reverie is the Sunday of thought.
— Henri Frederic Amiel quoted in May Sarton Among the Usual Days by Susan Sherman
- Our spiritual famine has concluded — we are just beginning to restore the honor of the imagination.
— Lauren Artress in Walking a Sacred Path
- But if we learn to read the signs of life all around us, and if we discover that we are indeed created to be creative, then we can rediscover the power and resourcefulness of imagination — another aspect of soul.
— Marjory Zoet Bankson
- One minute it was a rock and the next a talisman, a charm, a fetish, a relic. It became a stone made sacred by human imagination.
— D. Stephenson Bond in Living Myth
- And so there comes a time — I believe we are in such a time — when a civilization has to be renewed by the discovery of new mysteries, by the undemocratic but sovereign power of the imagination, the power that makes all things new.
— Norman O. Brown
- Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions.
— Albert Einstein quoted in Zen and the Art of Making a Living by Laurence G. Boldt
- Imagination is the creative task of making symbols, joining things together in such a way that they throw new light on each other and on everything around them. The imagination is a discovering faculty, a faculty for seeing relationships, for seeing meanings that are special and even quite new.
— Thomas Merton quoted in The Celtic Way of Prayer by Esther de Waal
- We tend to consider imagination too lightly, forgetting that the life we make, for ourselves individually and for the world as a whole, is shaped and limited only by the perimeters of our imagination. Things are as we imagine them to be, as we imagine them into existence. Imagination is creativity, and the way we make our world depends on the vitality of our imagination.
— Thomas Moore in The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
- If you always imagine God in the same way, no matter how true and beautiful it may be, you will not be able to receive the gift of the new ways he has ready for you.
— Carlos Valles in This Our Exile by James Martin
- So you see, imagination needs noodling — long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling, and puttering.
— Brenda Veland quoted in The Artist's Way by Julie Cameron
- We must have new eyes — the eyes of our heart enlightened. That means that we must see essential realities vividly. We must have our imagination captured. Matthew Arnold said that conduct is three-fourths of life. But it isn't. Getting your imagination captured is almost the whole of life. The minute the eyes of your heart are enlightened, the minute your imagination gives you the picture of your path, your goal, your aim — it is as good as done. The way to become the architect of your fate, the captain of your soul, is to have your imagination captured.
— Rufus Jones quoted in Rufus Jones: Essential Writings edited by Kerry Walters
More Quotes about Imagination