Linda Witte Henke's collection of 40 Christian rituals for times of transition is a wonderful resource. Here is a devotional practice for families to use in prayer.
Leader: What concerns shall we lift up on this day?
While holding with one hand each successive digit on the opposite hand, participants go around the circle, naming their concerns for self and others:
• the thumb (prayers for one's self)
• the index finger (prayers for those who point, direct, guide, and lead)
• the middle finger (prayers for those in positions of strength and authority)
• the ring finger (prayers for those near and dear to us)
• the little finger (prayers for those who are small or vulnerable)
All: Comfort us with your presence, O God, and send your healing love to those for whom we pray.— Linda Witte Henke in Marking Time