Practices for Discouragement
• Verbalize a spiritual intention, such as "I will try to be more patient." Even saying the single word "Patience" will do.
• Make your intention focused and specific. If "Patience" is too broad, try "Patience on the telephone."
• At least twice a day, verbalize the intention to yourself — once as you are entering your workplace and once as you are leaving.
• When you find yourself forgetting your intention, say to yourself "Forgot!" and then repeat your intention.
• Don't look for any result. If you find yourself thinking "This isn't doing any good!" set that thought aside. Repeat your intention.— Lewis Richmond, Work as a Spiritual Practice