Monday, March 12, 2012
What Happened Last Week at SpiritualityandPractice.com
• The family is inescapable. East of Eden on DVD is an epic six-hour screen adaptation of a John Steinbeck novel about fathers and sons, the search for love, the virus of hatred, and the restorative powers of forgiveness.
• You have direct access to incredible wealth. "The present moment holds infinite riches beyond your wildest dreams," writes the Jesuit spiritual director Jean-Pierre de Caussade in our "Naming the Days" feature. More Naming the Days.
• A father and son struggle. Footnote, an Israeli film about two Talmudic scholars, also probes ambition, competition, and the ethical disarray of academia.
• Quieting the mind. Ragani, who has led kirtan groups for more than 30 years, believes this form of sacred music can heal the heart. Read about it on our Spiritual Literacy blog. See more articles from our blog.
• Blonde and beautiful. My Week With Marilyn, now on DVD, revolves around a lucky young man who is befriended by the sweet angel of sex and has the time of his life.
• "We are children of the same God and members of the same human family." These words by Henri J. M. Nouwen perfectly describe the message of London River, now on DVD, about the quest of an English woman and an African Muslim to find their children after the 2005 terrorist attack in London.
Coming This Week
• The spiritual practice of equanimity in the classroom. Detachment is a feature film starring Adrien Brody as a substitute teacher with a big heart in a failing inner-city high school.
• An exploration of the dynamics of sadness. Delicacy, a French film, shows that mourning takes a long time and cannot be rushed or controlled.
• Loss as the dominant experience of our times. The Descendants, now on DVD, is a masterful and emotionally rich movie about the grief of parting and the agony of separation in the life of a father whose losses lead to new and transformative connections.
• Recitation of the Ninety-Nine Names of God. Masterful, rich, and substantive insights into this Muslim devotional practice are provided in Physicians of the Heart by Wali Ali Meyer, Bilal Hyde, Faisal Muqaddam, and Shabda Kahn.
Recommended from our Wisdom Archive
• Watch The Visitor on DVD. It is a touching and impressive drama that depicts the way a professor's closed-off heart is opened by friendship with an immigrant, music, and love.
• Go deeper with our Values & Visions Guide to Secondhand Lions. A teenage boy spends a summer with two eccentric uncles and learns what it really means to be a man.
• Watch Agnes Browne on DVD and Netflix Streaming. Directed by Anjelica Huston, this is a terrific movie that celebrates the natural highs of friendship.
Resources for Your Spiritual Journey to Carry Through the Week
A Proverb to Ponder
A Cue to Try for Justice
A Prayer of Discernment
A Quotation to Inspire
A Blessing from Us to You