|Sign In | Register | Shopping Cart | Subscribe to RSS Feed|
The Spirituality and Practice e-newsletter is a regular update from Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat with teaching stories and links to new posts on the site.
Sign up here.
A "blog" or "weblog," for those of you new to this Web phenomenon, is a running list of articles and websites that the "blogger" (that would be us) has found interesting and worth your reading. Some blogs have extended commentaries on the referenced pieces; others just give brief comments about them. The latest discoveries go at the top but the older links remain, so that over time you get a running commentary and overview of what's happening through the eyes of the blogger.
The Spiritual Literacy Blogby Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat
Life is a sacred adventure. Every day we encounter signs that point to the active presence of Spirit in the world around us. Spiritual literacy is the ability to read the signs written in the texts of our own experiences. Whether viewed as a gift from God or a skill to be cultivated, this facility enables us to discern and decipher a world full of meaning.
Spiritual literacy is practiced in all the world's wisdom traditions. Medieval Catholic monks called it "reading the book of the world." Muslims suggest that everything that happens outside and inside us is a letter to be read. Native Americans find their way through the wilderness by "reading sign." From ancient times to today, spiritually literate people have been able to locate within their daily life points of connection with the sacred.
The Spiritual Literacy Blog is our attempt to read the book of the world as revealed through articles and images available on the Internet. We hope you find it interesting and inspiring.Read the latest posts
SpiritualityandPractice.com is designed to provide resources for your spiritual journey, and we've set up several routes for you to take. You can start with a particular spiritual practice by going to one of our practice homepages. Or you might begin by reading about a spiritual teacher in the Living Spiritual Teachers Project. We are also creating maps by content type and subjects area. This column will point you to them.
• Content Areas at S&P: Links to help you search all the resources at SpiritualityandPractice.com by keywords (in progress; so check often)
Multimedia: Now you can listen to audio clips and watch videos of our Living Spiritual Teachers and others.
• Audio Clips: short clips from Sound True's Open Door series - gems of wisdom from some of our Living Spiritual Teachers and others
• Video Clips: short videos of some of our Living Spiritual Teachers speaking on various subjects
Music Video Playlists: Enjoy music that demonstrates our spiritual practices with these collections of YouTube videos, plus Video Music Playlists from FIQL where you can both listen to and watch favorite songs.
Content maps Quotations on a theme; helpful spiritual practices, and recommended books, films, teachers, and articles. These maps are now available:
• Happiness: Books and films reflecting happiness plus a mini-course of quotes from all spiritual traditions.
• Advent & Christmas: Daily inspirational quotes on waiting, patience, hope, and joy for the holiday season.
• A Spiritual Response to the Gulf Oil Spill: Prayers, meditations, and quotes on the sacredness of water for compassion practice and looking deeply into our own complicity in the Gulf oil spill tragedy.
• The Blessing Path: A month's worth of quotes, practices, and prayers for this multifaith practice
• A Celebration of Rumi: readings about the life and significance of Rumi, the great Sufi mystic and poet, plus video clips of Rumi poetry readings and meditations
• Change: A month's worth of quotations, originally assembled in January 2009, for reflection and inspiration.
• Gardening as a Spiritual Practice: book, audios, movies, and quotes that show how being in a garden can be a spiritual experience and gardening can be a spiritual practice
• The Heart: For National Heart Month, a quote a day plus an image of a "found heart"
• The Monastic Life: books and movies about the life of monks, nuns, and lay people living a contemplative life.
• Teaching as a Spiritual Practice: quotes from Parker Palmer's The Courage to Teach and links to 18 movies about teachers
If you have suggestions for maps that would be useful for you, please