To see a world in a grain of sand
and a heaven in a wild flower
To hold infinity in the palm of your
hand and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake
"To read the sacred in everyday life, we have to develop new qualities of mind and heart, qualities that open us to the presence of the spiritual within all aspects of existence. No moment, no thing is to be excluded. But like any other kind of reading, reading the sacred requires an alphabet. Here in 26 parts are 26 different qualities that are needed to practice spiritual literacy for reading the sacred in everyday life."
— from the opening credits
Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat's bestselling book Spiritual Literacy is an unprecedented collection of "aha!" passages by teachers of all spiritual traditions that reveal the sacred meanings in today's world. For this exquisite 6 DVD series, award-winning filmmaker David Cherniack has married those inspiring words to sense-luscious visuals and emotionally vibrant music, creating 26 meditative and soul-stirring half-hour films. Here is a wedding of spirituality and imagination sure to guide, challenge, comfort, and encourage you on your journey. This innovative series is organized around a new alphabet of 26 spiritual qualities of mind and heart for practicing spirituality in everyday life. Purchase individual DVDs or the entire series.
An Opportunity for Personal Reflection and Group Dialogue on What Really Matters
Spiritual Literacy was produced in Canada and aired as a television series on the Vision channel. Now Spiritual Literacy Media is making it available for the first time in the United States and elsewhere in the world.
We invite you to:
- Sample clips from the series (on individual volume pages).
- See more information and purchase individual Volumes using the links below.
- See our special offer when you buy the entire series.
- Read what others are saying about the DVDs.
- See models of how individuals and groups are using the DVDs. These models were contributed by demonstration projects that explored how the series could be used in spirituality groups, prisons, retirement communities, health care centers, and elsewhere. Although this part of the project has been completed, we are always happy when people email us about their experiences with the series.
- See a list of the authors and readings included in each episode. These lists also direct you to the pages in the book Spiritual Literacy where each reading appears.
- Print out the Viewer's Guide for each of the 26 episodes — suggested discussion and reflection questions as well as ideas on how you can practice each quality in your daily life.
- Volume 1
Attention, Beauty, Compassion, Devotion
- Volume 2
Enthusiasm, Forgiveness, Gratitude, Hospitality
- Volume 3
Imagination, Justness, Kindness, Love, Meaning
- Volume 4
Nurturing, Openness, Play, Questing
- Volume 5
Reverence, Shadow, Transformation, Unity
- Volume 6
Vision, Wonder, X-The Mystery, You, Zeal