The Compassionate (ar-Rahman), the All-Seeing (al-Basir), the Manifest (az-Zahir). These are but three of the 99 Qualities or “Names” of God intrinsic to the Islamic tradition. This e-course, open to people of all backgrounds, explores the interplay of the Names in our lives and leads us on a journey of discovery and renewal.
The Names serve as a doorway to self-knowledge and intimacy with our Sustainer. Especially during the month of Ramadan when material food is limited for those who are fasting, focusing on the Names can provide substantial nourishment in other realms for heart and soul. Anyone who engages with them in yearning finds a pathway to a deeper connection with Enlivening Spirit.
In 15 sessions, sent to you by email on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, you will receive:
- reflections on that day's Name or Names
- Qur'an passages
- a suggested practice to deepen your experience of the teaching
- video recordings by Camille of poetry about the Divine Qualities
- Four zhikr (chanting) meditation audios interspersed along the way, to accompany the journey as it unfolds
- 24/7 access to a Practice Circle, a text forum for sharing about the e-course and the practices with the worldwide community. Here you can receive further guidance from elders on the path and especially Daniel, who has been intensively immersed in these Names through his work creating The Ninety Nine Names of God, an Illustrated Guide for Young and Old.
Beginning with an overview of all 99 Names, twenty-six of the Names will be explored in depth.
Camille Hamilton Adams Helminski is the author of Ninety-Nine Names of the Beloved: Intimations of the Beauty and Power of the Divine and has been a student of the Qur'an and the traditions of the Prophets for more than 40 years. Camille and her husband, Kabir, teach internationally through the Threshold Society which they founded in 1988, encouraging all to awaken to the Divine Presence in every moment. Daniel Thomas Dyer is the author of The 99 Names of God: An Illustrated Guide for Young and Old. He is co-director of Chickpea Press, a multifaith children’s book publisher, and a student of the Helminskis.
We welcome all interested people to this e-course. You do not need prior experience of Islam or Sufism in order to join us.
Monday, May 14 - Friday, June 15