|Sign In | Shopping Cart | Subscribe to RSS Feed|
Current and Upcoming E-Courses and Online Retreats:
Be the first to learn about new e-courses amd other special content at Spirituality & Practice through our free E-Newsletter.
Sign up here.
Creating a Monastery of the Heart with Joan Chittister
Led by Joan Chittister, Mary Lou Kownacki, Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat
Subscribe to this E-Course
After more than 50 years of life in a monastery, Sister Joan Chittister asked herself some questions. What — if anything — of monastic life is worth passing on to others in our time? What does monasticism offer seekers who are already overwhelmed by all the spiritual and secular options available to them? And how can those outside traditional monasteries embrace this life that is both enriching and enlightening?
For an answer she turned to what has been both a guide and a path for her own spiritual journey: the rule of life created by Benedict of Nursia, the sixth-century founder of communal monasticism in the Western world. In her book The Monastery of the Heart, Chittister uses the Rule of Benedict as a framework for a guide to a more purposeful way of being in our time of social upheavals and global transformation. Like Benedict's rule, this Rule says that the spiritual life is simply living our daily life well. What's more, it can be practiced in the midst of the world, without having to withdraw from it. Inviting the participation of seekers of all faiths or no faith, she calls this the Monastery of the Heart.
This Online Retreat is your opportunity to create your own Monastery of the Heart. Through 12 emailed lessons, Joan Chittister will lead you through key elements of Benedictine spirituality: prayer, silence, work, co-creation, hospitality, community, good zeal, sharing, listening heart, and humility. You will receive:
• 12 emails with excerpts from Joan Chittister's book The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life
Please note: Although the emails will contain the excerpts from Joan Chittister's book that you will need for this course, you may also want a copy of the entire book. To order The Monastery of the Heart click here.
This e-course is available on-demand. Once you click on the "subscribe" button below, you will be taken through a sign-up process during which you can choose to pay the $39.95 fee by credit card or check. You'll be emailed a receipt with a link to your "account page" where you can choose when you'd like the retreat to begin and how frequently (daily, three times a week, twice a week, or weekly) you would like to receive it.
(4 CEHs for chaplains available)
Help Spread the Word about The E-Courses
• Download a brochure (pdf file) about our E-Courses and Online Retreats.
• Download a flyer (pdf file) about how you can set up a custom e-course for your group you choose the course, the frequency, and get your own private Practice Circle.
• Watch these Video Tutorials on "Site Navigation and Profile Set Up" and "The Practice Circle" for our E-Courses.
• What are people saying about the Practicing Spirituality E-Courses?
• Who are the e-course teachers?
• What do you mean by a practice suggestion?
• Can I get Continuing Education Hours for an E-Course or Online Retreat?>
• What happens if I sign up after the e-course has started?
• How do I post to the Sharing Forums and Practice Circles?
• How much does an e-course cost? Can I pay by credit card or check?
• What are your cancellation, refund, and scholarship policies?
• How do I set up my account?
• How do I get a password reminder?
• What are the discussion guides mentioned in my account?