This retreat encourages a life of prayer and practice, both "on the chair" and in daily life. It will support you in making a deeper commitment to your relationship with God, and strengthen your ability to live the contemplative life through dedication to prayer and practice, all within the normal routines of everyday life.
This e-course has been designed as a review of contemplative prayer practices for those who already engage in this form of prayer as well as those who would like to begin such a practice.
Led by Mary Dwyer, a long-time practitioner of Centering Prayer and student of Fr. Thomas Keating, this retreat is a four-part practicum based on a series of four questions, inspired by the teachings of Fr. Basil Pennington.
• What do I really want out of life?
• What do I need in order to manifest what I most want in my life?
• What are the obstacles in my life to my intention . . . to having the life I want?
• What is my life commitment statement, my new life intention?
These questions will provide the focus for discernment and dialogue throughout the course, to help you discern for yourself a "rule of life," a way to lean in and make a new commitment to live out the truth of God's presence and action in your life – now! Practices discussed during this retreat include Centering Prayer, Welcoming Prayer, Forgiveness Prayer, Active Prayer, and Lectio Divina.
This online retreat is multi-dimensional. You will receive:
• four emails (designed to be sent at the frequency of one a week) with the basic teachings and some suggested readings and reflections
• one short video (5-8 minutes) of Mary highlighting the week's teachings
• access to a recording a a one-hour teleconference with Mary for further clarification, questions, and dialogue
Please note: The emails will include readings from the writings of Fr. Thomas Keating for you to reflect upon during the week. Because some people prefer to read and study more deeply on various topics we’ll be covering, Contemplative Outreach is recommending these books, which can all be purchased through their online store:
Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart
Thomas Keating, The Human Condition
Thomas Keating, Intimacy with God
Thomas Keating, Manifesting God
Thomas Keating, Invitation to Love
These books are not required reading for the course.
(4 CEHs for Chaplains available.)
(choose your own start date and frequency)