When we opened this lively and edifying paperback, we both resonated with it. Frederic said it made him think of the old cereal ad with the slogan "snap, crackle and pop."
We hope you will savor the "snap" in quotations such as:
- "This only is charity, to do all, all that we can."
— John Donne
- "The purpose of life is a life of purpose."
— Robert Byrne
We, along with Megan Murphy, the founder of The Kindness Rocks Project who wrote the introduction, and compilers Brenda Knight and Becca Anderson, hope that you will put into action the many practical acts of kindness (they all crackle) they suggest, such as:
- Recycle your cellphone; they are the largest contributors of toxic substances to landfills.
- Don't contribute to the great Pacific garbage garden that is filled with single-use plastic bottles.
- Have a good neighbor policy. Bring your neighbor's newspaper to the front door. Offer to take care of a neighbor or friend's home, yard, or pets while they are away on vacation.
Here are a few more of our favorite quotes from this book that put an accent mark (pop!) on good deeds:
- "There's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it is sent away."
— Sarah Kay
- "Peace is not something you wish for; it's something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away!"
— Robert Fulghum 201