This e-course has started, but you can still sign up any time until the last day, June 26. When you do, all the e-course sessions covered so far will appear in your Spirituality & Practice account.
Take a moment to recall the places that replenish you, where you have gone or still go to find serenity, safety, and the sacred. This e-course offers you an opportunity to bask in the gift of such places, to discover creative new ideas about how to design a sanctuary, and to receive inspiration for offering sanctuary to others. You will be well supported in your explorations by two teachers who share their own experiences with creating and offering sanctuary.
Terry Hershey, an inspirational speaker, storyteller, ordained minister, and landscape designer, focuses much of his ministry on helping people nurture their spiritual lives. He presented a prior S&P e-course on pausing and is the author of Sanctuary: Creating a Space for Grace in Your Life.
He is joined by Patricia Campbell Carlson, who developed S&P's e-course on praying the hours and helmed three courses on the teachings of Br. David Steindl-Rast. Her insights into gratitude, grief, and reverence have reached thousands through the online vehicles of Gratefulness.org and Cornell University’s “Dear Uncle Ezra” column, a forerunner in online counseling. She is currently S&P's Program Director and Senior Editor.
In this exclusive e-course, Terry and Patricia view sanctuary as both a personal boon and a cultural need that we all have a responsibility to fulfill. The course focuses on these themes:
- The Need for Sanctuary
- Creating Our Own Sanctuaries; Elements of Design that Make Sanctuaries Effective
- Religious Tools for Establishing Sanctuary
- Offering Sanctuary; Creating Public Spaces that Invite Others to be Replenished
You will receive:
- 12 emails, sent on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays during the month, in which Terry and Patricia share teachings, stories, and personal examples to spark your creativity.
- Simple activities for you to try as you both design a sanctuary and offer sanctuary to others. You will be encouraged to examine what you long for in sanctuary, what personal and cultural blocks keep you from fulfilling that yearning, how you renew yourself, how you find or create or name sanctuary places, how you provide sanctuary for your loved ones and your larger community, and other matters vital to this far-reaching topic.
- An invitation to two one-hour Community Gatherings via Zoom, in which Terry will talk about the value of sanctuary during the COVID-19 pandemic, and you will have an opportunity to share in both small groups and the larger group your own experiences of sanctuary. These gatherings will be on Thursday, June 11 and Thursday, June 25, starting at 4 p.m. PT, 5 p.m. MT, 6 p.m. CT, 7 p.m. ET.
- Access to a Practice Circle — a forum open 24/7 for the worldwide community of participants in this e-course to share ideas, questions, and experiences;
- Continuing access to the e-course materials, recordings of the Zoom gatherings, and access to the Practice Circle after the course ends.
Terry and Patricia overflow with enthusiasm about the renewing power and relevance of sanctuary, having seen its benefits in their own lives and in the lives of people they serve. Please join us by subscribing below or by signing up for a subscription package (33% off) of three e-courses about finding meaning amid the pandemic.
(4 CEHs for chaplains available.)
(choose your own start date and frequency)