- "Express your creativity regardless of whether or not you feel you are an 'artist.' Get paints and a brush and make art.
- "Nourish and protect your body. Choose healthful foods that have been grown and produced in the best way possible.
- "Stimulate your mind. Find new music that moves you.
- "Pay attention to yourself. Go away for a weekend alone, or spend a day in silence.
- "Revel in the magical quality of moving water. Walk on a beach or a pier or along a riverbank.
- "Wake your body up, exercise your lungs. Lift light weights, run, jog, walk, or play any sport that requires you to get a little out of breath.
- "Lighten your burden. Seek and ask for help when you need it or just talk out your problems with a friend, family member, or therapist.
- "Share yourself. Make time for uninterrupted interactions with your family and loved ones. Spend time with them both in groups and one-on-one.
- "Be at ease. Take ten very deep breaths, holding each for a few seconds before exhaling and relax in the arms of your lover.
- "Foster intimacy. Sit face-to-face with a person you care about for at least five minutes. Without speaking, simply look into each other's eyes, trace every line of their face. Let self-consciousness melt away.
- "Honor what you love. Create an appreciation altar and adorn it with pictures of people you love, mementos and trinkets from your life, flowers, art, and objects you think are beautiful.
- "Make every space sacred and worthy of attention. Make your bed every morning and clean off your desk every evening. Pay attention to the details of your life and respect order as a powerful tool.
- "Use rituals to intensify your connections. Light candles and incense for no special reason. Reflect on where you are going and how you are feeling.
- "Invoke the power of sound and rhythm. Repeat special sayings, poems, or sounds that feel good to you. Let these be your mantras or personal energizers.
- "Build support for your spiritual practice. Find a spiritual partner, teacher, or guide whom you can talk with freely about your practice and vision of life.
- "Be consistent and holistic. Make a conscious effort to practice good for each aspect of your being. Practice good for your mental, physical, emotional, psychic, and spiritual being every day you are on this earth."
Being Black Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
Ways to explore yourself and find the things that nourish you.