Brenda Knight is a publisher and editor who writes about women's history and issues affecting women's lives today. She is the author of the American Book Award-winning Women of the Beat Generation. In this top-drawer collection of daily blessings co-authored with a foreword by Nina Lesowitz, Knight has lit the path of gratitude and spurred us to make this important spiritual practice the center of our lives. The quotations, exercises, and inspirational passages reveal the author's deep understanding of the bounties of spirituality put into our relationships, activities, and rituals. Equally impressive is the wisdom shared by writers, teachers, and preachers from all traditions.
Here is a sampler of the kind of material in The Grateful Table:
• "Imagine every day to be the last of a life surrounded with hopes, cares, anger and fear. The hours that come unexpectedly will be much the more grateful."
•"One more day to serve.
One more hour to love.
One more minute to praise.
For this day I am grateful.
If I awaken to the morning sun,
I am grateful."
— Mary Lou Kownacki
• "In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a good deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich."
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer
• "Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy — they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
— Marcel Proust
• "By saying grace, we release the Divine sparks in our food."
— Rabbi Herschel Schachter
• "We can thank our lucky stars when once in a blue moon we find rare and kindred souls along the pathway of our lives."
— Laurel Burch
• "Yesterday is ashes; tomorrow wood. Only today does the fire burn brightly."
— Eskimo saying