Wayne Dyer is an internationally renowned author and speaker in the field of self-development and the author of more than 20 books. He begins this one with a quotation from Carlos Castaneda:
"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link."
Individuals can do amazing things when animated by intention and purpose. Accessing this force field of energy requires connecting with your natural self. It's a four-step process discipline, wisdom, love, and surrender. Dyer elaborates with a description of the seven faces of intention: creativity, kindness, love, beauty, expansion, unlimited abundance, and receptivity. He notes:
"Remember that your ability to activate the power of intention in your life depends on your matching up with the creative Source of all life . . . Fail to match up . . . and the power of intention eludes you."
There are obstacles which must be dealt with as we try to tap into the powerhouse of intention. They include your inner speech, your level of energy, and your self-importance. Dyer examines "Seven Steps for Overcoming Ego's Hold on You":
• Stop being offended.
• Let go of your need to win.
• Let go of your need to be right.
• Let go of your need to be superior.
• Let go of your need to have more.
• Let go of identifying yourself on the basis of your achievements.
• Let go of your reputation.
The second half of the book contains a step-by-step guide for putting intention to work in your life by respecting yourself, living on purpose, being authentic and peaceful with all relatives, attracting abundance, being less stressed out, attracting ideal people and Divine relationships, healing and being healed, and expressing your genius.
Here are some examples of the practices given by Dyer:
• "Whenever you feel out of sorts, lost, or even in a sour mood, visualize the trolley strap hanging down from the field of intention three or four feet above your head. Imagine floating up and allowing the trolley to carry you to your built-in intention. This is a tool for implementing surrender in your life."
• "Meditate on appreciation. Cherish the energy that you share with all living beings now and in the future, and even those who have lived before you. Feel the surge of that life force that allows you to think, sleep, move about, digest, and even meditate. The power of intention responds to your appreciation of it. The life force that's in your body is key to what you desire. As you appreciate your life force as representative of the power of intention, a wave of determination and knowing surges through you."
• "Seize every opportunity, no matter how small, to give your life away in service. Get your ego out of your intention to live a life of purpose. Whatever it is that you want to do in life, make the primary motivation for your effort something or somebody other than your desire for gratification or reward."