Since 1893, a stately parade of swamis, gurus, and yoga masters have journeyed from India to grace the shores of the United States. They have irrevocably changed the spiritual landscape. Regardless of our own path or tradition, we’ve all been influenced by them to one degree or another, often in ways we’re not even aware of. Now, in this e-course, we turn to six legendary teachers to dramatically enhance our spiritual growth.
With the help of audio and video recordings, the course dives deeply into the fascinating lives and groundbreaking teachings of six masterful teachers:
- Swami Vivekananda
- Paramahansa Yogananda
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
- A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami (aka Srila Prabhupada)
- Swami Satchidananda
- Swami Muktananda
Two lessons are devoted to each teacher.
Strictly speaking, they were all Hindu monks. But what they taught was universal. It was applicable to the lives of Christians, Muslims, Jews, and others affiliated with one of the world religions, and also to atheists, humanists, and secularists. They had in common an emphasis on direct experience, personal transformation, and the practical application of eternal spiritual principles. But they were shaped by different times, places, and spiritual lineages, and they each emphasized particular aspects of the diverse streams of Indian philosophy and yogic methods. As a result, this course covers a broad range of essential ideas and practical teachings for the benefit of our minds, hearts, bodies, and souls.
We invite you to gain deep insight into the core discoveries of India’s sages through this e-course delivered by emails on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. It includes 12 sessions. You will:
- Learn about the historic impact of Indian spirituality on the West;
- Acquire powerful techniques and crucial action steps to accelerate progress on your spiritual journey;
- Apply the four yoga pathways to form a holistic approach to spiritual development;
- Discover new meditation techniques, breathing practices, and devotional chants from the yogic tradition;
- Explore little-known teachings that are both fascinating and useful, such as kundalini science and tantra;
- Receive an invitation to participate in a Practice Circle, available 24/7, where you can share responses and experiences with others from our worldwide community and receive further guidance from Philip Goldberg.
Philip Goldberg has been immersed in India’s spiritual traditions for more than 50 years, as a practitioner, teacher, and writer. He is the author of numerous books, including Roadsigns on the Spiritual Path, the award-winning American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation, How Indian Spirituality Changed the West, and The Life of Yogananda: The Story of the Yogi Who Became the First Modern Guru. His latest book, Spiritual Practice for Crazy Times: Powerful Tools to Cultivate Calm, Clarity, and Courage will be published by Hay House in August. A spiritual counselor, meditation teacher, and Interfaith Minister, he is a popular public speaker, leader of American Veda Tours, and cohost of the Spirit Matters podcast. His website is www.PhilipGoldberg.com.
You will come away from this e-course not only with greater appreciation for the teachers who brought India’s perennial wisdom to the West, but a more complete vision of the spiritual life and, most important, an enhanced repertoire of practices to deepen and broaden your own path.
(4 CEHs for Chaplains available.)
Monday, April 6 - Friday, May 1