The winners of a competition to crowdsource an alternative secular alternative to the Ten Commandments for the modern age were announced last week at AtheistMindHumanistHeart.com. The $10,000 Prize was divided up between ten different contestants. Over 2,800 submissions were received from 18 countries and over 6,000 votes were cast by the public for their favorite submission said Lex Bayer and John Figdor, the Prize's founders and authors of Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart.
Here are the revamped Ten Commandments:
1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
4. Every person has the right to control over their body.
5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
9. There is no one right way to live.
10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.