Dr. Weil is a world-renowned pioneer in the field of integrative medicine and an internationally recognized expert on leading a healthy lifestyle. This interactive learning kit consists of two CDs, a 52-page workbook, and 25 heart-health cards about healthy lifestyle habits. After characterizing the heart as the hardest working muscle in your body, Dr. Weil notes that cardiovascular disease is preventable, treatable, and often reversible. He believes that the goals of a heart-healthy lifestyle are:
• Raise "good" cholesterol and lower "bad" cholesterol
• Address genetic disposition to heart disease
• Build and maintain the muscular strength of your heart
• Increase the flexibility of your blood vessels
• Protect the lining of your arteries from chronic inflammation
Dr. Weil presents an anti-inflammatory diet which emphasizes foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, healthy carbohydrate choices, and variety. He teams up with other experts offering wise advice. Dr. Stephen Devries discusses the value of physical workouts, natural supplements, and other medications. Dr. Erin Olivo presents the most valuable exercises for optimizing the nervous system — mindfulness, stress release, and lovingkindness. And Dr. Martin Rossman shares a 20-minute guided imagery session for heart-healing.