W. Chris Winter is an international expert on sleep who has given more than 10,000 patients — including professional athletes — advice on making the most of this precious activity in our hurried and stressed lives. This neurologist has been dubbed by Adrianna Huffington as the "sleep whisperer" since he has treated a multitude of conditions. As many as 40 million Americans are chronically ill with sleep disorders.
This down-to-earth book is tailor-made for those who want to nurture sleep as good medicine for our bodies, minds, and souls. Here are some of the many topics he covers:
- The difference between being sleepy and fatigued
- The various stages of sleep and the meaning of circadian rhythms
- The uses and dangers of sleeping pills
- Dealing with insomnia
- The importance of sleep schedules and napping
- Why bedding and temperature are critical to a good night's sleep
- How to cope with sleep apnea
A statistic that will interest all elders: For adults over the age of sixty-five, as little as five hours is all the sleep that is needed!