Spiritual literacy relies upon the practice of attention. We often say that finding the sacred in daily life is a little like doing one of those picture puzzles in children's books that give a list of objects or faces hidden in a picture. Once we locate the images, we always see them there! Check out picture puzzle books and practice finding things. The I Spy books with riddles by Jean Marzollo and photographs by Walter Wick are good ones. I Spy Gold Challenger! collects some of the best puzzles in the series.
Here are more books that put a spotlight on the practice of attention:
- Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda: Lauren Alderfer offers a delightful story about the Buddhist attention practice of mindfulness.
- Zen Shorts: Jon J. Muth presents an enchanting introduction for children to Zen, a tradition known for its focus on attention.
- Moody Cow Meditates: Kerry Lee MacLean gives us a clever parable about meditation as an anger management tool.
- How Things Work in the Yard: Lisa Campbell Ernst points out some strange things to observe in your yard.
- Outside Your Window: Nicolas Davies points out the wonders and miracles taking place outside your window during each of the four seasons.
More Children's Books about Attention