See a gallery of 12 quotes on beauty.
- The eye that sees nobility and beauty in what another would regard as ordinary is the eye of prayer.
— Wendy Beckett in The Gaze of Love
- The Buddha taught that morality is the true beauty of a human being, not one's physical appearance or outer adornments.
— Joseph Goldstein in Transforming the Mind, Healing the World
- Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful; for beauty is God's handwriting.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson quoted in To See the World in a Grain of Sand edited by Caesar Johnson
- A spontaneous act of generosity, performed with unselfish grace is an example of moral beauty, as are certain acts of courage; genuine modesty is a possible example, as is selfless love. Some people appear to possess moral beauty as others possess physical beauty. Although moral beauty may be a natural gift, it is nevertheless more likely to emerge and flourish in societies that appreciate and encourage it.
— Yi-Fu Tuan in Passing Strange and Wonderful
- Whenever I experience something beautiful, I am with Soul. That moment of inward breath, that pause and awareness of "how beautiful this is" is a prayer of appreciation, a moment of gratitude in which I behold beauty and am one with it. I have come to appreciate that having an aesthetic eye takes me effortlessly into soul.
— Jean Shinoda Bolen in Handbook for the Souledited by Richard Carlson
- Beauty saves. Beauty heals. Beauty motivates. Beauty unites. Beauty returns us to our origins, and here lies the ultimate act of saving, of healing, of overcoming dualism. Beauty allows us to forget the pain and dwell on the joy.
— Matthew Fox in Original Blessing
- To recognize, appreciate, or create beauty is to bring gladness into life.
— Paul Brunton quoted in Meditations for People in Crisis edited by Sam and Leslie Cohen
- It's the beauty within us that makes it possible for us to recognize the beauty around us.
— Joan Chittister in The Psalms
- Show me the goodness,
in everyone I meet.
— Rebbe Nachman of Breslov in The Gentle Weapon
- The names of God for trying to see beauty where it may seem hidden are ya Jemal (beauty) and ya Latif (subtle). As you repeat these phrases, you cultivate within your heart the emotional sensitivity to the subtle beauty that transpires behind what appears to be ugly or repulsive.
— Pir Vilayat Inayat in Awakening: A Sufi Experience
- This world is nothing more than
Beauty's chance to show Herself.
And what are we? —
Nothing more than Beauty's chance to see Herself.
For if Beauty were not seeking Herself,
we would not exist.
— Ghalib quoted in The Inner Treasure by Jonathan Star
- The soul's beauty is harder to see than beauty of the body.
— Aristotle quoted in The Force of Character by James Hillman
- The infinite beauty of God is constantly being discovered anew.
— Gregory of Nyssa quoted in God Hunger by John Kirvan
- There is really no good English translation foradab. It means behaving well or good etiquette. It is acting with heedfulness, beauty, refinement, graciousness, and respect for others. The Koran teaches us the importance of acting beautifully. "Do what is beautiful. God loves those who do what is beautiful." (2:195)
— Robert Frager in Heart, Self, & Soul
More Quotes about Beauty