See a gallery of 12 quotes on love.
- Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.
— Mother Teresa quoted in The Gentle Smile by Diane Berke
- Falling in love is the most important clue a human can ever find to his or her latent spiritual needs and potentialities. Without this experience a human's relationship with God remains largely one of obedience, respect and will, but one that ultimately lacks passion, heart and love.
— Patrick Arnold
- Like a lover who spends all his time thinking of his distant love, God has been thinking of me since before I was born, for all eternity.
— Ernesto Cardenal in Abide in Love
- Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual life — not learning how to develop psychic powers, not learning how to bow, chant, do yoga, or even meditate, but learning to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light.
— Lama Surya Das in Awakening to the Sacred
- Love was meant to be also a sign, a symbol, a messenger, a telltale of the Divine.... Love is a messenger from God saying that every human affection and every ecstasy of love are sparks from the great flame of love that is God.
— Fulton J. Sheen in From the Angel's Blackboard
- The human mind makes foolish divisions in what love sees as one.
— Anthony de Mello in The Heart of Enlightenment
- Every time we make love to a human being, fully, we are making love to everything that lives and breathes. In that sense it becomes communion. It is a sacrament.
— Terry Tempest Williams quoted in Listening to the Land by Derrick Jensen
- Hatred ever kills; love never dies. Such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality, for it increases hatred. The duty of a human being is to diminish hatred and to promote love.
— Mahatma Gandhi quoted in The Way to Godedited by M. S. Desphande
- The only reason there is for living is love. There is no other reason for staying on earth.
— Joel Goldsmith in Spiritual Healing
- To take good care of yourself and to take good care of living beings and of the environment is the best way to love God.
— Thich Nhat Hanh in Living Buddha, Living Christ
- I believe more and more that the greatest single help to a spiritual life is a deep and living human love for another. . . . I have solemnly resolved to love more deeply and more truly and to be a sweeter man.
— Rufus Jones in Rufus Jones: Essential Writings
- When we stop seeing the world as a "problem" to be solved, when instead we open our hearts to the mystery of our common suffering, we may find ourselves where we least expected to be: in a world transformed by love.
— Philip Simmons in Learning to Fall
- The only unhappiness is not to love God.
— Thomas Merton quoted in Dialogues with Silence edited by Jonathan Montaldo
- God may do something silly at any time, because, like any lover, God does not reason. God is drunk with love.
— Ernesto Cardenal quoted in Finding Deep Joyby Robert Ellwood
- We can never travel beyond the arms of the Divine.
— Martin Luther King, Jr. quoted in The Gift of Kabbalah by Tamar Frankiel
- Let us make a pledge that, if not all day or all night long, at least for a few moments every day, we will make an effort to experience love, love that is free from selfishness, free from desire, free from expectation, love that is complete freedom.
— Swami Chidvilasananda in Kindle My Heart
- Let the good in me
connect with the good
until all the world
is transformed through
the compelling power
— Rebbe Nachman of Breslov in The Gentle Weapon
- This world is nothing but a school of love; our relationships with our husband or wife, with our children and parents, with our friends and relatives are the university in which we are meant to learn what love and devotion truly are.
— Swami Muktananda quoted in The Inner Treasure by Jonathan Star
- "Tell us, Lover! Do you possess riches?"
"Yes," he replied, "I have love."
"Do you possess poverty?"
"Yes," he replied, "because my love is not as great as it should be."
— Ramon Lull quoted in God Hunger by John Kirvan
- Where there is love and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance.
— Saint Francis quoted in The Sun & Moon Over Assisi by Gerard Thomas Straub
- He is truly great who is great in charity.
— Thomas A. Kempis quoted in The Sun & Moon Over Assisi by Gerard Thomas Straub
More Quotes on Love