“What life have you if you have not life together? There is not life that is not in community.”
— T.S. Eliot
Use the following questions to contemplate your understanding of life in community.
- What are the main benefits you look for when joining a community? What do you expect to give in return?
- What has been your most satisfying experience of community? What made it so memorable?
- What common goals do members of your community share?
- How does your community express its spirit?
- What is your community’s modus operandi for resolving differences?
- Does your community successfully balance respect for individuality with the needs of the group? How do you do it?
- How do you insure that caring, trust, and cooperation are seen as essential ingredients in your community’s life?
- What are the tasks of your community’s leaders?
- What have proven to be the best vehicles of communication within your community and with the outside world?